Skip to main content
Home » What's New » Cleaning Your Contacts

Cleaning Your Contacts

A study conducted by Bausch & Lomb in August determined that many individuals were using potentially harmful chemicals rather than contact solution to keep their lenses moist. Products such as baby oil, beer, coke, petroleum jelly, lemonade, fruit juice, butter as well as others were all listed as alternatives used, by one eighth of the two thousand adults surveyed in the United Kingdom.

Even more of the respondants reported that they have used saliva when inserting their contacts. Knowing that the mouth of the typical adult contains 500 to 650 different types of bacteria, this can pose a serious health risk to your eyes. Additionally, far too many individuals believe that tap water, bottled water or distilled water are a safe replacement for contact solution, but even those can contain parasites that can cause damage to the eye and have been linked to Acanthamoeba keratitis, an infection that could lead to blindness. Even moreso, if you get water in your eyes when swimming or bathing while your contacts are in, it's advised to remove your lenses as soon as possible and thoroughly rinse them so no parasites can get stuck underneath.

The only thing that should be used to wash, sterilize, moisten or soak your lenses is approved contact solution. Never keep your contact lenses in water! Storing your contacts in water does not thoroughly clean them and harmful fungi can grow on your lenses in minutes and enter your eyes once you put them in. Additionally, contact solution is made to compliment the saltiness of your tears and water on the other hand can cause discomfort or blurred vision since your contacts may stick or lose their shape.

At times that necessary storage or cleansing is difficult for you, try to use daily disposable lenses as opposed to lenses that you reuse. It's important to take age, daily routine and level of maturity into consideration when deciding which contacts are most suitable for you.

Keep in mind that failure to properly clean and disinfect your contacts with approved contact lens solution can result in severe harm or even total blindness.